We are now accepting submissions for our Spring 2022 issue of 13th Floor Magazine!
Who We Publish—
13th Floor Magazine is a student-run, campus literary journal that publishes two issues per year, featuring writing and visual art from UNO students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
Spring 2022 Issue: Now – March 1, 2022
What to Submit—
Poetry (3-5 poems)
Creative Nonfiction (no more than 5,000 words)
Fiction (no more than 5,000 words)
Micro-fiction or nonfiction (500-750 words)
Screenplay (no more than 3,000 words)
Visual Art (3-5 pieces)
Feel free to submit to more than one genre and/or to send an excerpt of a longer work. You can also send just one piece of art or one poem, but sending 3-5 gives editors a wider range to consider. We only ask that you send your best work for consideration and follow the guidelines here.
How to Submit—
- All submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our editors read submissions blind, so please remove all identifying material from your submission—within the body of your writing and/or on your artwork.
- Files should include the genre and title of your work, such as “Poetry: Happy Days” (when sending art and/or poetry that includes more than one piece, please use the title of the first piece included in your submission, but do not include any part of your name).
- Ensure your submission has been thoroughly edited for spelling and grammar.
- Include a small bio for yourself no longer than 100 words in the body of your email, written in third-person.
- We accept written work in Word .doc/x or PDF and art in PNG or JPEG (at least 300 dpi)
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but if they are accepted elsewhere first please inform us ASAP.
Poetry—submit no more than 5 poems per submission with all poems in one file (one poem/page).
All poetry’s spacing should be as you want it to be published, and typed in a readable font.
Prose—submit one story/essay/play per file. Be sure to double space and to use page numbers.
You may submit up to 3 different pieces of prose per category.
Visual Art—please send high-resolution, quality images free of glares and distractions, and indicate your medium in the body of your email (e.g.: oil on canvas).
Photograph using natural or natural-colored lighting to preserve the integrity of your colors. If taking a photo of a sculpture, choose a simple background free of any distractions.
If your work is chosen for the cover, we may need to somewhat crop your image to accommodate the cover’s size. If you do not want to be considered for the cover, please indicate that in the body of your email submission.